Saturday 15 February 2014

How I Spent My Winter Vacation - Part One

This is how it will go - I'll post a recap of each day, with photos to illustrate, but I won't post all of the photos from each day at once. I will post the others one at a time, later, so I can still share them but not overwhelm one post with too many.

Note: the Jedi camera doesn't want to turn on, I tried it with two fully charged battery packs. I'll take it into a shop - it may be as simple as the date/time battery needing to be replaced. My point is, all of my photos were either taken with my Lumix or my cell phone.

I arrived in San Diego on February 6. My first flight, from Calgary to Los Angeles, was great. I watched Gravity then chatted with the older couple seated next to me. They were going to sightsee for a day, then board a cruise ship that would take them through the Panama Canal to Florida.

LAX is huge. And overwhelming. With the kindness of helpful people, I found my terminal for my next flight. When I went in search of my gate, I got whisked into a shuttle bus and was driven across across the airport to a smaller terminal with one fast food restaurant and no WiFi. #firstworldproblems.

My next flight was in partnership with WestJet. It was an American Eagle flight and cramped. My seatmate and I agreed that we should pull the window shade down and try to nap. This was definitely an economy flight.

P was at the San Diego airport, with her kids, Victoria and Andrew. I've known P for so long online that it wasn't weird settling into her minivan and talking as we drove through San Diego. San Diego is beautiful, by the way.

The next morning, everyone was at work or school. I had breakfast with a beautiful view of her backyard, and canyons and hills. And a hummingbird hovering around these flowers.
Spot the hummingbird



Another friend, K, was able to take the afternoon off on short notice, yay! Another person that I'd known online for a long time. She lives close enough to P that she was able to drive us to her apartment so I could meet the grand Somebody Orange.
Kitty!

And the legendary Velcro.
Kitty!

K is a surfer and knew I'd want to visit one or two beaches. I specifically said that I had to put my feet in the Pacific Ocean. And so we went to Ocean Beach.
Ocean Beach

I found the weather in San Diego delightful and a welcome change from the ice and snow of Calgary.
I love the ocean

Ocean Beach

Princess Leia and Vibrating Han made the first of many appearances.
Ocean Beach

We walked along the beach in our bare feet and went into an off-leash area so we could view happy dogs having a happy day.
Ocean Beach

Then we went to a real Mexican restaurant that she knew had gluten-free and vegan options. I enjoyed blue corn enchiladas and am not sure I could ever go back to Taco Time after this feast.
Mexican food

Mexican restaurant

Because she knows me, K knew I'd enjoy going to a place where we could just sit and watch the ocean. She suggested Sunset Cliffs.
Sunset Cliffs

Sunset Cliffs

Sunset Cliffs

We settled down and watched waves come towards us and splash against the rocks we were on. She talked a lot about waves and surfing and kelp beds and it was very interesting. I should try surfing one of these days.
Sunset Cliffs

I was also fascinated with trying to photograph the spray right in front of us.
Sunset Cliffs

It was so peaceful. We sat and talked and just watched the sun go down.
Sunset Cliffs

We weren't alone. Such a lovely spot.
Sunset Cliffs

The tide rose while we sat there and eventually the spray got too close to us. :-)
Sunset Cliffs

I took a panorama shot on top of the cliffs - click to see it bigger.
Sunset Cliffs

It was a perfect day. Spending time with K and meeting the cats I've only seen pictures of, with lots of California beauty and really good food.
Sunset Cliffs

0 comments:

Post a Comment