Monday 1 April 2013

Hermione on a quilt

Hermione on a quilt by Angela Boyko (angelamermaid)) on 500px.com
Hermione on a quilt by Angela Boyko

My grandmother began making quilts when her grandchildren started getting married. She made a quilt for each if time permitted - sometimes she bought a quilt if there wasn't enough time.

When it came down to three grandchilden and one great-granddaughter, all of marrying age and single, she decided to make quilts for us anyways. As she put it, she wasn't going to be around forever, and she wanted each of us to have a quilt. So this is how I came to have this quilt. Gram made a pink one and a yellow one, and my cousin Julie (the great-grand-daughter) was engaged so she got first choice.

With time and maturity, I've gotten over not having first choice. Because after she made the quilts, Gram had a stroke, and her quilting time was over. When she passed away in 2006, I slept with this quilt for a while, to have her energy with me. Then I put it away, because I had two cats with sensitive stomachs.

This Saturday, I was at a stitching meetup and met a woman who quilts. She told me that she doesn't make quilts for baby gifts anymore, because nobody uses them. They only display them.

I'd been thinking of changing my bedding for spring. So I went home and brought out this quilt. My current cats all have good stomachs (except for the occiasional hairball). And they have all investigated this quilt and found it worthy.

This picture is available on 500px and my SmugMug store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment