Tuesday 22 November 2011

RIP Anne McCaffrey

I did not have a horse phase as a young lass. I did not dream of horses or draw horses or yearned to ride them. I enjoy the occasional trail ride, but that's it.

Thanks to stumbling upon the short story "The Smallest Dragonboy" in a book from my high school library, I preferred dragons. I collected all of the Pern books. Including related ones like The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern. I have made klah. When I customized Barbie dolls, another Pern fan and I did a doll swap - we each made a doll and wrote a story to go with the doll and exchanged them.

Anne McCaffrey became this wonderful person - I could imagine her strolling around her farm in Ireland, dreaming up these grand stories while feeding the occasional fire-lizard.

I stopped with Dragon's Kin, a book that Anne wrote with her son Todd, that just wasn't very good. The bad guy practically had neon arrows pointing at him saying "EVIL BAD MAN" "EVIL VILLAIN" "DOES EVIL THINGS". The storytelling lacked subtlety, is what I'm saying. It didn't feel special.

It was with sadness today that I learned Anne McCaffrey has gone between. As a fellow reader put it, 85 wasn't a bad age to do it at. I'm sure dragons everywhere raised their voices in tribute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment